Monday, June 7, 2010

And so it begins...

I'll start this blog with the cliche first-time blogger phrase: "Well, I've never blogged before and thought I would give it a shot."

It's true though. I have never blogged. And I want to give it a whirl. With all the "newness" in my life that I would like to share with friends and family, I thought a blog would help spread the word. My promise to you: I will avoid lengthy paragraphs and opt inside for my go-to format of list making. So I hope you come back periodically to view the "Quick List" in my life...o, and pictures coming soon!

Today's Quick List:

1. Induction in Memphis: Last week, I stayed at Rhodes College in Memphis for Induction. TFA training consisted of meetings and panels to discuss TFA mission and core values, our leadership development, hiring process, Memphis city and culture, etc. It is all extremely informative and I tried to become a sponge to soak in the information. More importantly though, it has hightened in me a desire to excel next year to provide my future students with an incredible educator and education.

2. My Memphis Corps: This year, Memphis has 106 first-year corps members, which is double the size of last year! It is such an eclectic group. We represent a variety of states (Utah, Alaskan, New York, KANSAS, Arizona, etc.) and a variety of backgrounds and majors (grad students, authors, journalists, lawyers, etc.). I think I have 80% of the names down and I'm determined to know all my corps by first names soon!

3. "Speed Dating" of hiring: Last Thursday, I attended a "meet and greet" for principals and teachers where I had to stop at a variety of tables and sign up for job interviews with principals. I basically introduced myself, handed over a resume and waited to see if they wanted to continue "dating" aka interview me. The next day, our Memphis group went to the interview fair and the principals interviewed us more in depth. I landed a teaching position at Wooddale High School, teaching high school English (not sure yet what grade). I'm excited to revisit some of my fav high school novels - Animal Farm here I come!

4. National Civil Rights Museum: During our Induction, we visited this museum, which encompasses the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. Because many of the students that TFA teachers instruct are black, the National Civil Rights Museum brought into focus how our fight for educational equality (no matter the race) is today's civil rights issue. It was humbling to see the long history of discrimination, segregation and racism and to know my work will directly impact a huge issue (lack of quality teachers) that many under-resourced schools face.

Posting about my arrival in Atlanta coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that was informative! Gracias amiga

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I realize you're busy and everything, but its been a while since you last blogged. I know you're new to this whole blogging thing, but updating REGULARLY is part of the deal. So do me a favor and post something new. (this is Megan by the way not North, Inc.)

    ReplyDelete