Sunday, July 18, 2010

BBQ, berries and Beale - oh my!

After completing TFA Institute on Friday, July 9, I drove back to St. Louis to meet up with my boo, Lyle. My day and a half in St. Louis spurred some serious reminiscing as I walked my favorite paths at SLU and met up with good friends; I felt like Bittersweet Symphony was playing in the background of my visit. Seeing roommates, friends and DGs (Katie, Emma, Christa and Jimmy, Kelly, Mary, Chris, Bopper, Colin, Paul, Nikki and Molly - great to see you all!) made me think again and again about the incredible people I have met during my time at SLU - and it was only a small handful! My roommates experienced some weepy Candace moments, but tears of love and sadness run together.

Lyle and I ventured south to my new ciudad. Though I was in Memphis earlier this summer for TFA Induction, my time was devoted to TFA-related sessions and events. Finally, this week, I had time to explore and explorin' we did!

Our adventures started at the cliche, but must-see, former home of Elvis Presley. Have you heard of him?
We read the thousands of messages, initials, love proclamations and shout outs to Elvis written on the wall surrounding his property. We even found the initials from our friend Megan Bowman's family!
Apparently, the Graceland gates are magnificently large and beautiful. We were pretty underwhelmed with them.
Wouldn't be a Memphis visit without scouting out some Memphis BBQ for the carnivore I am dating. Tasty spread, huh? And the portabella mushroom sandwich was delicious, too!
During our walk on South Main, we popped into this random nut store. The store is an original Planter's Peanut roasting store and only seven exist in the United States - two of them in Memphis. Pretty nuts, huh?
One of Memphis' touristy attractions is the River Walk, which is a half-mile replica of the Mississippi River. You can "walk" the Mississippi and see the cities, dams, bridges and other landmarks along the way.
Beginning our trek down the Mississippi...
Godzilla moment. Disclaimer: No dams were destroyed in the taking of this photo.
On hey there Michigan!
O hey there cooler state, Kansas!
On Wednesday, our mind turned to a berry different adventure: berry picking. We drove to Hernando, Mississippi to pick veggies and blackberries for a pie. These were the "fruits" of our labor.
As if our blackberry pickin's weren't enough, we drove to a blueberry plantation (family owned for more than 20 years) and strapped on our gear to pick ourselves some blueberries.
"One in the bucket, one in my mouth!" (Blueberries for Sal quote) The plantation doesn't use any pesticides so sampling was a must!
I spy with my little eye... a berry hidden bird.
My kinda man...holding the berries and my car keys.
Newly-legal Lyle enjoyed our night out on Beale Street - especially because it was biker night!!

I am now starting my "second round" of training, which is preparing me for my classroom this fall: setting my big goals, breaking down state standards, establishing my classroom management systems, etc. Post to follow with more updates soon!

Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. PRETTY NUTS HUH? I GET IT!!!!!!!! also thanks for the shout out. MUCH appreciated. but theres nothing in the post about the berries.. or beale.. just sayin////

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace!

    I've loved reading your blog and your adventures in Memphis! Actually...Lee and I started dating in Memphis, so now we've named our cat after the city. :) I'm so proud of what you're doing and what you will do with TFA!

    Just wanted to say hi! :)

    LITB,
    Brittany Richardson (Somers) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candace, I enjoy reading your blog, haha you make me laugh. Good luck up there, miss you!

    -Amanda Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Candace Your Blog is awesome Im glad you're having a good time in Memphis! Im moving to Miami to play for the heat down there. If you're ever down there we should catch up.

    -LeBron James

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and by the way I love blueberries

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey candace i like the blog update, but gotta give some cred to Lyle. He spiced up this post with the three B's of your adventure: BBQ, blueberries, biker night. Well done! Oh and I was in the Detroit Airport for 3 hours yesterday, but unfortunately didn't run into Lyle. Haha

    Keep up the good work!

    Your scooter neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candy my sweet, (haha, get it?)

    I'm glad we got to(very briefly)chat just now! So glad you got to explore Memphis finally. One of my favorite family vacations was to Graceland, et al. Keep on keepin' on, sista fren!

    See you at Bid Day?

    LITB, E Bland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candace!

    who rock? you rock! i love your blog- it looks like you are having a wonderful time! I am so happy for you! Keep on doing what you do- Your kids are going to fall in LURVE with you this fall! Can't wait to see you- much love to you.

    Sarah Cope

    ReplyDelete